A Few of My Favorite Things

Posted by Wesley On Thursday, July 15, 2010 5 comments

Readers! Sorry for no blog posts last night. I was busy watching over 210 pounds of dog (no joke) for a friend and didn't have a chance to actually sit down and put some thought into what I wanted to write about.

Anyway, today at work one of my associates and I got to talking about the things we most enjoy in life. She mentioned many things, including her family (of seven), her grandfather, and the fact that she cannot wait to meet her creator when she passes along. And it got me thinking... because, besides my family and good friends, I couldn't immediately think of any other things that make me so happy to be on this great earth and living life. As I thought about our conversation more throughout the work day and after I arrived at home, I realized countless things and experiences that make me so happy to be here and alive. And I realized that my weight loss and drive to get in shape is directly related to these things that make me so happy. These things, in fact, are the reasons why I want to experience life to the fullest and are behind my causes to preserve my life.

I'd like to share these with you. Now, I know you're all thinking: That's it's going to be the obvious crap, like getting off, eating 8 pounds of marshmallows, getting drunk, the smell of french fries, and the sound of my hot neighbor having incredible sex with his beautiful wife. I'm sorry to disappoint, but I tried to dig a little deeper than just the surface. Some of these things may seem really simple and stupid, but they're what really blow my hair back (when it's long enough), and I've decided to slap this list on my fridge, so that it's staring at my face every time I go to eat something. It's a simple reminder for why I want to eat right, eat healthy, and get myself in shape. Here are a few of them, in no particular order, except for number one:

1. My Mother - I'm not playing favorites with family, but I love my mother more than anything in this world. I would do anything for her and don't know what I would do without her. It always pisses me off when she says "I Love You" before I get the chance to say it first.

2. Family and Friends... experiences with these people is priceless!

3. Waking up and realizing I still have more time to sleep.

4. Music, especially from a man with a smooth, strong voice.

5. The smell of the house I grew up in.

6. Wearing clothes I haven't been able to fit into for years, with no muffin top or beer belly.

7. Hearing my favorite song on the radio.

8. Back and foot massages.

9. The sound of ice clinking around in a glass of lemonade on a scorching, hot day.

10. Making someone cry for all the good reasons.

11. Payday!!

12. Putting my contacts in after waking up and feeling like they aren't even there.

13. Walking into my dark, toasty-warm house on a snowy, wintry day and lying down on the couch with only the sound of my furnace humming in the background.

14. Laughter coming from the people I care about most.

15. Giving myself chills before falling asleep.

So... there they are readers. Just a few of the reasons why I am trying so hard to preserve my life here on planet earth. I've also realized that after creating my list of favorite experiences, that I try my hardest to place myself in situations that allow me to experience them. Obviously, it's just human nature to ensure our own happiness, and all of us are well on our way to extending our ability to experience our favorite moments in life by losing weight and getting in shape, which is an awesome feeling just in itself.

So readers, what blows your hair back? Share with me what some of your most favorite life experiences are, and slap those things on a sheet of paper and stare at them each and every day!

5 comments:

~ugly girl with a beautiful heart~ said...

Music makes me happy too. Honestly, to put it more accurately, it alters my mood. Yes yes. I've been feeling way too music-less in my life lately. Stupid working at a bank without a radio.

Jennifer Brindley said...

Dan.
Coming home to my cats and exclaiming, "Hey kitties!" when I walk in the door.
The taste of Diet Coke when I'm totally thirsty.
The time I get to spend with friends in Denver.

misssarahlou said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for a blog award. Check out my blog for the deets! http://misssarahlou.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-won-award-o.html

Wesley said...

Misssarahlou... THANK YOU! Only a few weeks into this blog and I'm already getting a nomi!?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

W

Meg said...

Gorgeous post! I'm going to have to borrow this idea :)